Belgium in a Nut Shell
- Eat! – Belgian Waffles. Light, fluffy waffles smothered in chocolate sauce, fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Zero calories, we promise…
- Drink! – Beer. As a country that brews over 400 different varieties of the stuff, it would be a sin not to.
- Wear! – Your Speedos! But only when you’re going swimming. Most public swimming pools don’t allow men to swim if they’re wearing trunks, so it’s back to basics if you want a dip.
- Beware! – Getting lost in fairy tale land… there are over 3,000 castles in Belgium, that’s more than any other country in the world.
Introduction to Belgium…
As home to the best beer and chocolate in the World, what more do we need to say about this indulgent country? There’s plenty to see and do other than eat and drink though. Whether you choose to wander the canals of Bruges, visit the Cathedral of Ghent or enjoy the festivals in Antwerp, there are plenty of ways to burn off those calories whilst exploring Belgium.
- Currency: Euros
- Capital City: Brussels
- Main Religion: Roman Catholicism
- Main Language: Dutch, French & German
- Telephone Code: +32
- Time: GMT+2
- Emergency Numbers: 112
Belgium Visa Information:
Most nationalities do not require a Visa in order to visit Belgium for stays of up to 90 days. Check your eligibility before you travel here.
Expect temperate weather here in Belgium. Think cool, rainy summers and mild winters, with an annual average temperature 10°C it certainly isn’t warm!
5 Random Facts About Belgium:
- The country produces more than 220,000 tonnes of chocolate each and every year (that’s 22kg per person!).
- Love them or hate them, brussel sprouts have been grown in Belgium for more than 400 years now.
- More chocolate is sold at Brussels’ International Airport than any other place in the whole entire world.
- Belgians are big beer drinkers, getting through on average 150 litres of the stuff per person per year.
- There are more comic makers living in Belgium than anywhere else in the world.