This website a celebration of the diverse continent of Europe from travellers who are finding adventure on their doorstep. Backpackers who were grounded in Europe during lockdown started to travel locally and discover things they never knew about their home countries. We asked them to share their adventures with us on this website…
CALL FOR HELP!
We’re not going to lie, this year has been absolutely s**t for those of us who make a living from running a travel website. We are not earning any money at the moment from maintaining our three websites: South East Asia, South America and Europe Backpacker. It is a struggle to keep the websites going and to be honest, to stay motivated during this difficult time. Your articles and enthusiasm for travel and documenting your adventures keep our spirits up. We hope that, together, with your help – we can get through this!
Here’s a picture of our team enjoying better days… (That’s me, Nikki, on the left, my boyfriend and partner in crime, Dave, on the right. Below are our two adventurous travel writers, Sheree and Tim, who should be doing the Mongol Rally right now, but instead are hanging out at Sheree’s Mum’s in Norfolk!)
So, what type of articles are we looking for?
1. Write a Featured Article
We’re looking for featured articles that we’ll publish as a blog on our homepage. These articles can be opinion pieces, destination spotlights, a story about a recent travel experience or a guide to a particular place. Some examples of our recent articles:
- Destination spotlight – Top 10 Reasons Why Zurich is the Perfect European City
- Travel experience – Exploring Italy’s Cinque Terre
- Backpacker guide – Inter-railing: The Dos & Don’ts
FAQs for Feature Articles
- How long should my article be? We’re not strict, but we’re looking for around 1,000 words.
- Should I send photos with my article? Yes please! When you submit your article please attach a few photos so that we can get a feel for your article overall. Please don’t insert the photos into a Word document, send them as separate attachments.
- What if I have a great article, but no photos? You can either find some ‘usage rights’ free images on Google and send them to us. Or, you can send us just your article and we can use some from our photo bank. It’s up to you.
- Should I include links in my article? Yes. You can include relevant links to travel resources and companies that you have used to travel with, or perhaps websites where people can find more information about what you’re talking about.
- Can I include links to my Instagram / Facebook / Twitter in my bio? Yep, no probs.
- How long should my bio. be? Just a few sentences about you; where you’re from, where you’ve travelled and any other interesting info.
2. Write / Update a Destination Page
As Europe is constantly changing, so is our website! We strive to bring you up to date information on our favourite places in Europe, but sometimes you may actually know more than we do. With that in mind here are two ways that you can help us keep our website in tip top shape:
- Current destination page updates – Email us with any additions or revisions that you have about our current destination guides.
- New destination pages – Create a destination page for any place that we haven’t already covered. This could be your favourite place, somewhere off the beaten track* or your home town!
*We are particularly interested in travellers who can write us in-depth guides to their home town or city! You might not think that the place you live is very interesting, but a visitor may feel that way!
How will I structure my destination page?
- Introduction – Write a few attention-grabbing paragraphs that sum up the place that you have just visited. Remember, destination guides don’t always have to be positive. If you’ve got something negative to say about this place, be honest!
- Places to stay – Tell us about the particular areas that are best suited for budget travellers. If you like you can recommend specific hostels/guesthouses/campsites where visitors can stay.
- Things to eat (optional section) – If you’re a food lover (like us), you may like to include an extra section on must try dishes whilst in your destination.
- Things to do – Tell us how to spend our time, a bulleted list of at least six worthwhile activities.
- Getting there – Let us know how to reach this destination. Is it best to train or bus it?
- Where to go nearby? Lastly, recommend a couple of places that are logical to visit from this destination.
*Don’t forget your author bio – Just a few sentences about you; where you’re from, where you’ve travelled and any other interesting info. We’re happy to include links to your personal travel blog and social networking sites.
FAQs for Feature Articles
- How long should my destination page be? We’re not fussy! If you’ve got lots to say about your chosen destination, then write away!
- Should I include photos? If you can, please include photos to accompany your destination guide. We want photos of the landscape, food and any activities you tried. Selfies, not so much.
- What if I don’t have any photos? You can either find some ‘usage rights’ free images on Google and send them to us. Or, you can send us just your article and we can use some from our photo bank. It’s up to you.
Will you share my article on social media?
Hell yes! We want to share your article with as many people as possible. If you have a page for your travel blog on Facebook, we’ll link to it when we share and tag you on Twitter, Instagram or any other social network you fancy!
Why write for us?
- Back links to your website – While at this time we regret we cannot pay for articles, we can provide you with a personal bio, link back to your own travel blog and social media channels to help support your blog.
- Social media promotion – We will also promote your article on our own social media, which is a great way to boost the traffic on your own blog!
- Kickstart your travel blogging career – The Backpacker Network family has helped to launch the career of many famous travel bloggers, who had articles published regularly in both our printed magazine (a long time ago!) and on our three websites. Their guest posts on our website helped to expand the reach of their own travel blogs, and now many of them are professional travel bloggers!
Follow in the Footsteps of…
- Goats on the Road – Read one of their articles here.
- NOMADASAURUS – Read one of their articles here.
- The Broke Backpacker – Read one of Will’s articles here.
- Where in the World is Nina – Read one of Nina’s article here.
- Backpacks and Bunkbeds – Read Neil’s article here.
- Paper Planes – Read Alana’s article here.
- Travel Fashion Girl – Read Alexandra’s article here.
How to submit an Article to us:
- If you would like to submit an article or destination guide to the magazine, please contact us here.
- Please send your article in full as an attached word document.
- Please don’t insert the photos into the word document, send them as separate attachments in your email.
- We get back to every writer. Our promise. Every piece of writing that is sent to us will be read and we will respond with a reason as to whether we will publish your article or not. Please remember, we’re often travelling and cannot respond immediately to emails, but we’ll get back to you as quickly as possible.